Sunday, August 5, 2012

Does Anybody know what these are???

As I was going through some
of the treasures from my Sister...
I came across these.

Does anybody know what they actually are???
Or what they were used for?

They look like some kind of a grate.
But they are made of wood
and they are thick.

What could I do with them?
Any ideas?? Anyone??


Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Not really sure what your grates were used for ~ I've seen simular ones in a church once for the heating vent though. Let us know when you find out. I'm drawing a blank ~ can't think of any cool ideas for ya. I'm sure something will pop in your head!
Prim Blessings

Trace4J said...

Yes I was gonna guess grates for somethin too. Cool whatever they are.
I love old.

Sheila said...

Well, I would have said floor grates that came from older homes that, perhaps were used on the second floor to allow heat to rise up from the wood stove that one cooked/heated with,though the ones I was raised around were metal. I'm stumped! Please post when you find out their origin or you do something fun with them! Interesting for sure.

bettyj said...

Kind of think they may be concrete grids. Interesting aren't they?

The Moonlit Stitch said...

Could they be vintage wooden ship grates? ~*~Lisa

Pam at Antique or Not said...

I'm thinking a form of doormat, believe it or not.

Kendra said...

You got me but wouldn't they just look neat on a wall by themselves or are they big enough to use as cabinet doors?


Laura Lane said...

I've seen grates like that used either over floor heaters or on second floors in old homes to let heat rise through the floor. You could put some legs on them and make a small table.

Dicky Bird said...

We had these growing up in our house. They are a grate in a way. They are between floors in old houses to let heat rise. We use to have one kid up stairs and the other down and we would poke pencils and other stuff and watch it drop to the next floor. They would lay flush right with the wood plank floor boards on the edge of a room or in a landing.

Barb said...

Wow! Pretty interesting.
I know on my grandpa's farm he had something like it to kick and scrape off mud and crud when coming into the mud room of his house. (Dairy Farmer)You get the picture. Needless to say they didn't look as good as those look.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Wouldn't it be cute hung in a kitchen with hanging old utensils or something kitchen(y) from it?


frontporchprims said...

I am going with the floor grates. They are so interesting and look like they are in really good condition. What fun pieces to use. I could find more than a few ways to use them. I would love to see what you do with them. -Steph-

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Those are wonderful...and made of wood? Wow! Can't wait to see what you do with them! Must be some ideas out there! Pinterest maybe?

Mary said...

Hi Sandi, Yes,They are old floor vent covers. We have them in our older renter house. They are flush with the floor and used on top of the cold air return vents. They suck in the cold air in the home and then warm air is then blowen out of the vents that are on the wall, which have medal covers on them. Hope this helps....Mary