http://i.imgur.com/adE9k64.jpg

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

MEMORY BEARS......

Has anyone ever heard of Memory Bears?
They are bears that are made out of a favorite shirt,
blanket or some type of clothing that
belonged to a loved one that had passed away.

There is no specific pattern for these bears.
It can be a boughten pattern,
or your own design.


These Memory bears were made by my Sister Karen.
She used a bear pattern from Jo-Ann Fabrics.

My Sister Carolyn had just lost her
Father-In-Law (Bob) a few weeks ago to Cancer.

Carolyn had recruited my Sister Karen
to make these bears
(karen is the seamstress in the family)
For her Mother-in-law and her Husband
and other family members,
as a Keepsake of  Bob.
These bears were made out of her
Father-In-Law's favorite shirts that he wore.


Karen also made up a few pillows out
of Bob's shirts too....
This is just the start of the bears.
She has many more to make!


I wish I had known about these bears
when my husband and Dad had passed away.
This would've been a wonderful keepsake.








18 comments:

Trace4J said...

What a wonderful idea!
Your sis is one special lady!
Hugs to you
Trace


www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Melanie said...

Those are so sweet, Sandi. What a wonderful idea. Your sister did a beautiful job on them.
Hope you're having a great week. :-)

Christine said...

I love this idea and the bears are very special.
Thanks for sharing this
Christine

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

I've never heard of these ~ but what a wonderful idea!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Sheila said...

This is such a wonderful idea that I will have to remember. I've heard of memory quilts using the clothing for the same purpose.
I love the bears!
TFS~
Blessings,
Sheila

Becky said...

I've heard of this before but I never saw shirts made into pillows. Your sister is very talented.
Becky

Tolentreasures said...

I have seen those before and they are really a great gift and wonderful keepsake.

Cathy

Jody Wakefield studio said...

This is such a wonderful idea. I have a shirt that my husbands grandfather wore all the time before he died. We loved him dearly. I am going to think about doing something like this. Thanks for posting this.

Hugs
Jody

alltheseboys said...

I hadn't heard of the bears or pillows. I have heard of quilts. I love the idea of the bears. Katie

Raymond Homestead said...

I love the idea of the memory bear!

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

What a precious thing to have of a loved one's. The shirts are really
cute as pillows. These will be so
cherished I'm sure.
Hugs,
Susan

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That really is a wonderful idea. When my grandmother passed away, I used fabric from her 'stash' to make bunnies and their little dresses for several people in my family. I still cherish mine! ♥

frontporchprims said...

What a great idea!!! I will be making a memory bear out of everything:) Thank you. -Steph-

Tammy said...

That is a great idea. I would love to make even a pillow with their shirts. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

These are so cute! This is a great reuse for my son's old baby blanket.

Barb said...

Hi Sandi,
What a fabulous idea! I would have to have my sister sew them! But what a fabulous keepsake.
Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your day,
Barb

Never So Simple said...

I loved them so much. This would have been a great gift for my girls.

Donna

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Adorable idea! These are very cute too! What a wonderful way to keep those we love close by. They would be cute for a little girl to have some in her daddy's old clothes that don't fit him anymore. I'll have to see what I can find in my husband's closet, hehe!